WHAT IS IT?
- The FILE OF LIFE is a card that enables our medical staff to obtain a quick medical history when the patient is unable to offer one! This helps prevent false information, or no information, being provided if the patient is in a confused or incapacitated state.
- The card is kept in the red plastic folder, which is labeled FILE OF LIFE. It will list all pertinent medical history, medications, allergies, doctor's names, and even a healthcare proxy.
- Fill out the medical card and be sure the information is accurate and legible. If necessary, have someone assist you.
- USE PENCIL in spaces where it will allow future updates (i.e. medications).
- When completed, place the FILE OF LIFE on the hinge side of your refrigerator.
- Keep all of your medical data up-to-date.
- Whenever there is a change in medications or dosage, be sure to change it on your card and re-date it.
WHO SHOULD HAVE A FILE OF LIFE
- Any resident, regardless of age, who may become incapacitated or become confused because of a condition or emergency.
WHERE CAN YOU GET A FILE OF LIFE?
- Converse Fire Department has the FILE OF LIFE available to residents of Converse. You can pick one up at the central station located at: 602 Toepperwein Road.
For more information regarding FILE OF LIFE, feel free to visit their website at www.fileoflife.org.