Permit Types & Regulations

Electrical Permit

An electrical permit covers any electrical work to be performed, such as new wiring, rewiring, or repair of existing electrical wiring.

Plumbing Permit

A plumbing permit covers any plumbing work to be performed, such as:
  • Alterations, repair, or installation of new / replacement equipment
  • Backflow valves
  • Fixtures or fittings when connected to a water, sewer, or gas system
  • Plumbing installations, including lawn irrigation systems
  • Pressure-reducing valves
  • Water heaters and softeners

Pressure-Reducing Valves

Pressure-reducing valves and expansion tanks are required if the water pressure exceeds 80 PSI on new homes or when a new water heater or additional plumbing is installed. Many homes in Converse were not equipped with a pressure-reducing valve when built, because the pressure was below 80 PSI or the code did not require one. The 2009 International Plumbing Code allows existing systems to be maintained or repaired as originally built if no hazard is created. A plumber may not be willing to warranty a repair without upgrading the system and adding the pressure-reducing valve. New lawn irrigation systems require an approved backflow valve and a separate water meter.

Mechanical Permit

A mechanical permit covers the installation of mechanical systems, including alterations, repairs, or replacement of ventilation, heating, cooling, air conditioning, and refrigeration systems, incinerators, and other energy-related systems.