General Information regarding Permits

Pre Permit submittal questions 

  • Is your property platted?
  • Does my zoning allow for this project?
  • Is my home in a flood zone?
  • What paperwork do I need to provide?

           Zoning map 10-1-2013               Fema flood maps                Required paperwork           

Application submittal

  • You or your registered contractor will submit an application and all other required paperwork.
  • The review process can take upwards of 2 or more weeks depending on the completeness of the plans and the complexity of the project. If revisions are required you will be notified of the additional or revised information that is needed to approve your project. 
  • After the permit is approved the required fees paid the permit must be posted. Only then can on-site construction begin.
  • The approved, stamped plans will be made available for the inspection team.

Expiration. Every permit issued shall become invalid if work has not commenced 180 days after issuance. Every permit expires 365 days after issuance. The building official may grant an extension of no more than 180 days. The renewal fee shall be 50 percent of the original permit fee. Any person, firm or corporation may apply to the city council for any further extensions.

Some examples of projects that typically require a permit:

  • Changing the footprint of the building (addition or demolition of building components)
  • Converting a garage into any other type of room
  • Remodeling or adding new rooms
  • Roofing
  • Siding or masonry veneer
  • Exterior windows or doors if larger than the existing building opening
  • Garages
  • Carports
  • Decks, patios, and Patio Covers
  • Paving: driveways, sidewalks, patios, etc
  • Lawn Sprinkler Systems
  • Swimming pools (in-ground AND above ground), hot tubs, or spas
  • Water heaters
  • Water Softeners
  • Most air conditioning or heating systems
  • Fireplaces
  • Demolition
  • All plumbing work: this includes yard line repairs of any size or type and the alteration or addition of Pressure pressure-reducing valves or installation of shut-offs.
  • Electrical repair and/or replacement
  • Sheds or other accessory buildings, whether you are building or installing a pre-built shed
  • Installation or repair of building, parking lot, or landscape lighting (Electrical)
  • Awnings: require approval via City Variance prior to issuance of a permit
  • Signage: installing new or altering existing

Projects not usually requiring a permit:

  • Portable heating appliances
  • Installing or replacing any appliance that does not require alterations to the plumbing, gas, electrical, or mechanical systems.(ex. Replacing a stove which does not need a new outlet or new wiring
  • Repairs on any appliance that does not require replacing the appliance
  • Portable Window A/C units
  • Painting or wallpapering
  • Carpeting or tile work
  • Glass replacement
  • Tuckpointing or cleaning existing masonry
  • Landscaping: Plants, non-permanent pavers/stones, mulch, etc.
  • Alterations on the house side of a P-Trap and changing out existing plumbing fixtures (bathtubs, lavatories, kitchen sinks, commodes)